Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Reader inspired style: 'cornrowed side ponies with fauxhawk bottom'

This style was inspired by a hairstyle that a reader did on her daughter's hair. She was inspired by this style I did on Li'l Bit, and I was inspired by her style. :)



I think I would call this a 'cornrowed side ponies with fauxhawk bottom' style. (whew! These hairstyle names can get kindof wordy, huh?!) The style that inspired me was done with beads, but I decided to make it a little more of a protective style for Li'l Bit's head, so I eliminated the beads, and rolled the braids into mini Bantu knots to hide and protect the ends. I secured the bantu knots with bobby pins, I am going to look for some mini ones today so they don't show as much.

Products used:
Bee Mine Luscious Moisturizer as a leave-in.
Its Perfectly Natural's Coil Glaze for hold. (This stuff is the bizness. If you haven't tried it, I suggest you do!)
Bobby Pins
That's all!

I think the style is pretty self explanatory, but a few pointers I think are useful when trying this style:
  • For the top half to end up ponytailable, the trick is in the parting. Start your parts off wide and narrow them toward a focal point. They should all meet at this point. That way, you can pony it up....or Bantu knot it, like we did this time. :)
  • The braids in the fauxhawk do not lie directly across from each other. I was trying to figure out how to explain how I arranged them, but I thought it would be easier to just show you:
 
Or something like that. I think you get the idea. The reason I made them diagonal like that is because  I think it is easier to twist the braids into bantu knots when they on top of each other versus being side by side.  I just took 2 braids at a time and bantu knotted them, adding pins for hold because Li'l Bit's hair is so short it would have just unravelled right away.


I love this style, and Li'l Bit did too. Especially when she stuck a huge purple flower clip on top of her head. Sadly, no pictures of that. But you can probably imagine that it looked.....very unique. :)


I hope you enjoyed reading this. This hairstyle was inspired by a picture that a reader posted on our Facebook wall. We love imitating styles, and putting our own spin on them. If you have a style that you would like to share, send us an email, or post it to our wall. We love hearing from you!

1 comment:

  1. I love this style it looks so cute. I was messing with bantu knots on my daughters hair last night only playing not styling so this style would be great to try and your diagram isa great helper (",)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...