Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Li'l Bit does the twist. A simple solution for twists on drastically different curl patterns.





If you have been reading my blog for any amount of time, you probably know how much I love twists, and how much I would love to see them in Li'l Bit's hair. Unfortunately, the completely different hair types on her head simply don't allow for twists that hold, gracefully, without the help of barrettes or something similar on the ends. I think I posted this at some point in the past, but here is an example of the two very different types of hair on Li'l Bit's head:



The tighter curls in the middle hold twists very well; the looser curls do not. Slowly but surely, the tighter curls in  the middle are spreading throughout her head, and the looser curls are becoming fewer and fewer. Eventually, I think I may be able to do a full head of twists that will serve as a nice protective style and stay nice and crisp looking for longer than a few hours. Until then, this is my solution:






There it is. Two strand flat twists in the front, held together by snaps. I like the idea of these more so than barrettes because they are smaller and lighter in weight, so I think they cause less damage on her ends. The rest of the hair is in rope twists. The middle part of her head looked great without the snaps. What you cant see in the picture is that loose curls at the bottom of her hair unravelled and looked really stringy. Still haven't come up with a solution for that yet....This style lasted about a week in Li'l Bit's hair. :)

Best part about twists? The twist out, of course!


Unfortunately, I didn't think of  taking the picture until early evening time; and my Li'l Bit is just SO rough on her hair. But I promise you, it was adorable earlier in the day when I first took the twists out and fluffed them!  :)

To style her hair for the twists, I first co washed her hair with Herbal Essence's Hello Hydration. I used a small amount of Olive oil and Shea Moisture's Curl Enhancing Smoothie for moisture, and Eco Styler Gel (our first time using it...love!!) for hold.

3 comments:

  1. Omgoodness yes... G has a coarse section in the center of her hair and it drives me bananas cuz it doesnt do what the rest of her hair does. braidout have become my best friend! it helps create a morer uniform look. I love your flat twists, I need to practice those!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL I feel your pain! Bunny is SO ROUGH with her hairstyles at times! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My daughters hair never used to hold twists but as her haor thickened her curl pattern is tighter but the middle holds best because ots more corse. I find our homemade shea butter mix on he ends stops them from unravelling or just adding pure shea butter to the ends is great the thickness of the shea butter acts sort of like glue on the ends. Also I find 3strand twists seem to hold better and so do 2 or 3 strand rope twists check out my blog on it. I agree the best part of twust is the twist out and li'l bit's twist out looks lovely (",)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...