Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Lunchbox Tuesdays: Peanut Butter and Jelly 'sushi rolls'

Happy Tuesday everyone!

The holiday season is here, and for me, that means lots of baking and decorating and singing and fun movies.  It also means that the girls are going to have a lot more sweets in their lunchboxes, which obviously will make them very happy. But not today. Because last night, my husband worked until midnight, and he was VERY  hungry when he got home. And while looking in the refrigerator for the dinner plate I saved and wrapped for him, just like I always do, he happened upon my cookies. And he ate them. Well, about 3/4 of them. I could tell you what words were exchanged this morning when I realized what happened, but I try to keep things family friendly around here, so I'll just leave it at that. But seriously?! I had 2 cookies and was worried about how I was going to burn off the extra calories. He ate 2 batches without a second thought. So unfair. :P

But onto The Princess's lunchbox, cookie free:



  • Peanut butter and jelly 'sushi rolls'. I found this idea on one of my favorite blogs, bentolunch.net. All I did was flatten the bread with a rolling pin, spread peanut butter thinly over the bread, and layer jelly over the peanut butter. Then I cut the bread into slices and rolled it up. Voila! 'sushi rolls'. :) (This takes care of the grain and protein.)
  • Orange slices. (fruit, check!)
  • Baby carrots. (veggie, check!)
  • Yogurt. (dairy, check!)
  • Water bottle.


And this week's tip for making lunches more fun, and healthier, for your child: change the packaging of the food. Seriously, the same food your child refused to eat yesterday may become today's favorite meal if you just change the way it looks, like my peanut butter and jelly sushi rolls. Or a ham and cheese sandwich could easily become ham and cheese roll ups with some crackers on the side. Fruits and veggies cut up into cutesy little shapes make lunches more fun, and your children may even forget that they are eating veggies. (Or not, lol. But its worth a shot!)

I hope you enjoyed this Tuesday's lunchbox. We are always looking for lunchbox inspiration; if you made your child a fun lunch that you would like to share with us, email a picture and brief description of the meal to differentkindsofcurls@gmail.com. As always, comments are not just welcomed, but greatly appreciated!

2 comments:

  1. Seriously...two batches!?!?! I feel guilty if I eat two or three in one sitting :-( I LOVE the pb&j sushi rolls, though. I might even do that for my own lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not just for kids. I cut my celery into little sticks because that's how I convince myself to eat it! I am not sure I'd ever do it otherwise. Putting raw snow peas into a well-organized, attractive lunch gets me to eat them (which I'd also otherwise not do). I love the peanut butter and jelly roll ups. I have no problem convincing myself to eat a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, but I might do that sometime anyway.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...